Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Wet n Wild Idol Eyes Creme Shadow swatches and review

It seems like every brand has a cream eye shadow stick these days- from cult favorite NYX to Urban Decay.  But at just $1.99 Wet n Wild's just might be the cheapest. First I'll show you some swatches and then get to the meat of the review.

Wet n Wild Idol Eyes Creme Shadows
From top to bottom- Pixie, Envy, Techno, and Distress

From left- Pixie, Envy, Techno, and Distress (Techno blended out at the very end)
The swatches look decent don't they? The only one I had issues swatching is Techno, which is a bit sheer.

From the beginning I knew that these weren't going to be a miracle non-creasing product to rival the high end brands.  This is what they claim, "Soft-blending, creamy eyeshadow at the convenience of a pencil. Silky-smooth formula glides on easily for high-impact, light-infused color that lasts for hours." (Quote from wnwbeauty.com)

I'm going to ago over each claim and let you know how it stacks up. The following is probably going to come off a bit snarky. I love Wet n Wild as a brand, though, I really do. But you can expect every brand to have a few duds.

Soft-blending-  I'm not sure what "soft" blending is but yes, these blend pretty well.  But, they sheer out really quickly so you are losing that intense color.

Creamy- Yes, these are very creamy.  Too creamy actually.  They never really set on their own (without powder on top).

Silky-smooth formula- Yes, I will give them that.  They aren't clumpy or lumpy.  But once again it is that creamy smoothness that gives us the problems.

High-impact- If you don't blend these a few of the shades are what I would consider high-impact (the blue and the green). The purple is quite sheer and the beige is neutral.

Light-infused- Well, they aren't matte.  I guess being shimmers makes them "light-infused".

Lasts for hours- Aaaand here is the kicker.  They don't.  Not by themselves anyway.  On a bare eyelid with no primer the don't last more than 5 minutes.  Well I suppose they last if you consider bunching together and having a little party in your eyelid creases lasting.  And that is applied straight from the pencil and blended (sheered) out.

The best way to back up any claim. Proof. And here is mine. (Be warned- scary, gross, creased eye makeup ahead!)

After 10 minutes- Applied thickly with no primer
I wasn't expecting this test to go so well. And it didn't. Applied like this they actually creased immediately. You can tell by looking at my lid how "wet" looking it is. And sorry, I forgot to wear mascara in all these pics, haha.

After 10 minutes- Applied sheerly with no primer
My next test was to apply as thin a layer as possible to see if it would crease. As you can tell, it did.

After 10 minutes- Applied a medium amount over primer
This time I used a primer, Too Faced Shadow Insurance. After 10 minutes the creasing isn't as horrific as the first picture, but it's still pretty damn bad. Unwearably bad.

After 10 minutes- Worn with primer and set with powder eyeshadow
This time I used the pencils as a base for powder eyeshadow. I used similar colors as the pencils (sorry, I don't remember which ones!). After 10 minutes I did not have any creasing and I like the way it looks better than just the powder shadows alone.

After 3 hours- Worn with primer and set with powder eyeshadow
So after 3 hours I still didn't have any creasing. Sorry for the crappy pic, but it was getting really late and I was so tired of messing with these things. At least I found a way to wear them that works for me!


Really, the only way these can be worn for me is as a base for other eye shadows. I have normal eyelids that rarely get oily, so I'm not sure how these would fare for those of you that do get oily. For $1.99 they are worth a try if you see a color you like. Plus, you can always take it back to the drugstore if it didn't work and you have your receipt.

To be honest, I don't really use these that often because they add another step to my makeup routine and that extra step is an extra 2 minutes I could have spent sleeping, haha. These do not live up the claims at all, but you might get them to work with a little work.

Oh, another thing. I hate the packaging. The plastic cap has a tendency to crack really easily making it loose. On all the pencils I have this happened and the cap mushes down on the top of the pencil, ruining it. I would either depot these and be very very careful with them.

Pros:
  • Work as a base for powder eyeshadows
  • Inexpensive
Cons:
  • Crease instantly, even with primer unless used as a base for powder shadows
  • Would like a broader color range. A white would be nice.
  • Techno is pretty sheer
  • The packaging is terrible and tends to ruin the pencils

Available:
  • These retail for $1.99 and are sold at drugstores and where ever you can find Wet n Wild

Thank you for reading and have a great day/night/whatever!

14 comments:

  1. Great review! I have similar NYX JEP shades, especially the green and purple ones. I think I'll pay the little extra for the JEPS. They have more product, and are higher quality. That blue color is AMAZING though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those blue tinted pinks always apply really sheer... just thinking of a duochrome eyeliner in that colour that I have, as well as UD's Asphyxia 24/7 pencil. Don't know what it is about that shade, but they're just so troublesome to build up sometimes. And wow, not lasting 10 minutes it's pretty cr*ppy. So many people out there don't know what a primer is, so if they're just buying these to wear over a bare lid... they're going to be a bit sadface :(

    Great review! :D
    *reposted because I can't spell :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I find I like these better than the NYX pencils (I still have to use a primer, though). They're less greasy for me. But, the packaging fills me with RAAAAAGE. I cracked the cap, and now the pencil's just out in the open.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, these are only good only under powder eyeshadow, nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the Pixi color and use it under my eyeshadow a lot. I agree with you on the packaging. It's really frustrating trying to keep the cap on the product and not have it smash the product.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wet n Wild has come out with some amazing products, so it's disappointing that they missed the mark with these cream shadows. I guess this means I can stick with NYX Jumbo Pencils! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Distress looks aaaaaawesome! Also... why do people say that these sorts of things don't crease? THEY ARE GOING TO CREASE. Because of...quantum. I have some pencils like this from Beauty UK that are nice bases but a primer is a must (nice on the lower lashline though.)

    I depotted all my NYX because the caps cracking smooshing the product (and cracking) was getting on my tits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review...I always pick these up in the store and put them down. Now I don't feel bad...I'm not missing out on anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might pick one up to try/use as a sticky base. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hehe. I love how classy the first eye shot is...

    But aye, I need a good dark blue base, still. Might just pick up Distressed for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That creasing is horrible! But I guess the're okay with a base and shadow.

    http://simplylera.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post on these- you're totally right. I had the purple one years ago and I just hated it, but for some reason it stayed in my collection for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Distress is a gorgeous colour! Shame about the instant creasing though, but a nice base for shadows :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate them all and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...