Wednesday, June 29, 2011

elf's $1 Essential Lipsticks- Swatches and Review

I originally bought 2 of the $1 essential lipsticks from my local grocery store that carries elf.  I liked the formula, so the next time I placed an order on elf's website I ordered 2 of their newer lipstick colors.
It's strange, the newer colors seem to have a completely different formula than the older shades I bought in store.  I've already shown you in my review of elf' mineral eyeshadows how elf isn't very consistent in their products- the two mineral eyeshadow brushes I got were completely different from eachother.  I guess when selling things for so cheap, quality control isn't as stringent.  But Wet n Wild also has products in the same price range as elf's and I haven't seen the same consistency issues.  Sure there are Wet n Wild products I don't like, but at least I can be more sure the reason is not just because I got an off product.

Because of the differences between the 2 sets of lipsticks I swatched them separately.

elf Lipstick in Seductive and Gypsy
The first two lipsticks I bought- Seductive and Gypsy, I really liked.  They were a little more sheer than the second set I bought, but still left a good amount of color on my lips.  The lipsticks themselves were a little dry, but not drying on my lips, if that makes sense.  I don't feel like I need to put on lip balm before wearing the lipstick.  These lipsticks dragged a bit across my lips when I applied them, but they didn't apply streaky and I didn't have to apply a bunch of layers to get the color payoff I wanted.

elf Lipstick in Seductive and Gypsy
elf Lipstick in Seductive and Gypsy
elf Lipstick in Seductive and Gypsy
elf Lipstick in Seductive
elf Lipstick in Gypsy
elf Lipstick in Flirtatious and Sociable
The second two lipsticks, the ones I bought off elf's website, were quite different.  Both are very pigmented and look pretty in pictures, but that about as far as I can go in giving praise.  These were very creamy and soft.  TOO creamy and soft as both lipstick bullets have pretty much dislodged from the tube.  I have to be very careful when applying them as they tend to squish down.  I had this problem more with the color Flirtatious (the bubblegum pink color).  But Sociable had it's own problems.  You can't tell in the picture, but Sociable is incredible gritty.  I couldn't figure out why this was as it looks like a cream finish lipstick.  When I removed it I discovered that the grittiness was tons of huge flaky silver glitter.  The lipstick is so pigmented that you can't see the glitter at all, it just looks like gross chunks of gross.  Yes, gross chunks of gross.

I'm not really sure if these last two lipsticks were just a fluke, but I emailed elf and they are sending me new ones.  If they are any different I will update the review.

elf Lipstick in Flirtatious and Sociable
elf Lipstick in Flirtatious and Sociable
I'm frustrated you can't see the chunkiness of Sociable in the swatch.  But trust me it's there, and it looks really ugly.

elf Lipstick in Flirtatious
elf Lipstick in Sociable
The ingredients

Overall, I would recommend the first two shades, Seductive and Gypsy.  I like the color of Flirtatious, but it was way too soft.  And Sociable just felt gross because of the grit.  Luckily elf is really good about sending out new products if the ones you bought were defective.  But this has happened to me several time already.  It seems like it would be easier for them just to have better quality control to begin with...


Available:
  • These lipsticks retail for $1 and are available on elf's website (I'm not going to link to them because every time I go to their website they send me an annoying email).  You can also find these at stores that carry the $1 elf essential line.

Thank you for reading and have a great day/night/whatever!

7 comments:

  1. Sucks about the chunksorz. I know they're a buck but the cheap W&W ones and the cheap MUA ones we have here seem pretty consistent in quality. Lame. Anyway, Seductive is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second 2 are gorgeous colours what a shame about the formula. If you could actually see the silver glitter that would be amazing but as you can't that must just be super annoying. But boy am I jealous that you get ELF for $1!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sucks when you get something that is totally off...It's totally a hit and miss with their products..good thing they are so cheap! I love the colors of the first two and the pink shade from the second...I have yet too try their lipstick but think I will soon since they are only a dollar. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks because Sociable looks like a really pretty color. I'm honestly surprised by the pigmentation of all of them!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the swatches. I always need reviews for elf products. They suck much too often. This is gonna be a skip for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT swatches(:
    i really adore flirtatious

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colours are really nice! For $1, I might put up with some formulation problems if I liked the colours enough.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate them all and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...