Friday, June 17, 2011

Frankenpolishes- A Meh, A Fail, and A Success

Ugh, I've been so busy lately.  I haven't even had time to respond to comments lately.  I feel terrible about it; the comments really make my day.  It's amazing to me that people care enough about my pictures and what I have to say to take time from their lives to leave me a message!  So I apologize for not responding.  Hopefully soon I get used to my new schedule and learn to manage my time better!

Every now and then I get a feeling where I must.do.something.creative or I feel like I'll explode.  I'm terrible at art, so I usually do the closest thing I can to art, mixing random nail polishes together.  Like my attempts to paint or draw, my polishes usually look a lot better in my head than they do in real life.  I KNOW this is going to happen everytime I attempt "art" but it still manages to surprise me every time when it comes out looking like poop.  Oh, well, at least I am a talented artist on the inside.  It's the inside that counts right?  Oh wait, that phrase only applies to beauty.  Well, crap.

Anyway, I'll subject you to some of my franken attempts.  Like the post title mentions, I have a failure, a (semi) success, and one I am ambivalent about.  I'll go from ugly to pretty, just because I like to save the best for last.  Oh, and only one has a name, mostly because i'm terrible at thinking of names and also because I don't really care about names anyway!

Oh, and these swatches are obviously from when my nails were longer than my current nubs.

Unamed pinky white franken- in the sun
I WANTED to make an off-white polish with a pink duochrome/sheen/shimmer (would have settled for any of those three), but it just came out a pinky-white creme with a tiny amount of shimmer that is barely visible.  I don't remember everything I used- I just started pouring in random things once I realized my initial plan wasn't working out.  I have a Loreal HIP pigment called Exciting that is a creamy white with pink flash and that is all I figured I needed to get the polish I wanted.  It didn't work however so I was just left with this monstrosity.

This is 3 coats.

Unamed pinky white franken- in the shade

Absurdity franken- in the sun
This is the meh.  I made this one when Chanel Paradoxal was at the height of it's popularity and there was no way I was going to spend Chanel prices on it.  Of course this isn't really close to Paradoxal, but I was satisfied enough that when I was done I promptly forgot about the polish I just created AND Paradoxal.  And of course I don't remember what I used to make it either.

This was 2 coats.

Absurdity franken- in the shade
Unamed green holo-ish franken- in the sun
Yay! Finally one I like!  And this one I was smart enough to write the recipe on a piece of paper and tape it to the cap.  I used approximately a third each of the holographic Milani polishes in 3D (gold) and Cyberspace (light blue). I then added a third of OPI Catch Me In Your Net.  It isn't super holo unless you're in the sun, but it is pretty sparkly.

This was 2 coats.

Unamed green holo-ish franken- in the shade

So there ya go.  I have 3 more frankens I took pictures of, so I can post those sometime if you want.  I'm really itching to make more frankens but I ran out of bottles!  The little bottles you see here were from packs of three water-based polishes from the dollar store.  Since the polish was water-based (and completely useless) I was able to just wash these out, dry them and reuse 'em.


Thank you for reading and have a great day/night/whatever!

3 comments:

  1. I love the last one, beautiful! I've only made one franken and that was just some glitter in clear polish XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any nail polishes low enough to try this yet but I'm going to when I run low. ;) The white one: I love how you just kept tossing stuff in when it wasn't working. Sometimes I do that with cooking. At least you don't have to eat the fail ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the green one! I do like the first one you did as well, I can see the pink shimmer and I think it looks subtle and nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate them all and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...