Monday, June 13, 2011

Week 10: Shopping my Stash for Untried Polish- OPI Sparkle-licious

Ugh, whyyyy do I have do be so busy.  I went from being able to spend hours each day for my blog to squeezing a an hour in when I can.  I'm worried that I'm going to have to start posting less frequently than once a day and I don't want to have to do that!  I haven't missed a day yet in my short few months blogging and i don't want to start now.  Once my summer classes are over I should have more free time as I won't be attending class every day like I am now.  So for the next few months my posts may be a tad short!

This is week 10 of me trying to use my untried polishes (click here to see previous posts).  I've since accepted that it will never happen, but doing these posts helps me to go back through what I own and think twice about buying new polish because I already have a lot of really great ones.

I NEVER buy entire collections of nail polish, with few exceptions.  OPI's Burlesque collection was one of them.  I was going through a glitter phase and was kicking myself for passing on Mad As A Hatter (I'm STILL angry at myself for passing on that one).  I didn't want a repeat of that so I bought the entire collection.  But my nails grew longer and on longer nails glitter is a pain in the butt to remove (it's a PITA no matter what, actually), and I never got around to wearing most of the glitters.  I recently had a nail break right at the start of my free edge and had to chop my nails off as short as they can go.  So I decided to pull out the most blingy glitter I could find to distract me from my stunted nails.

This is 3 coats of Sparkle-icious (probably could have used another) over 1 coat of a nude creme.  I find painting glitter over a creme finish helps with removal a bit.  This is a full manicure with base and top coat.

OPI Sparkle-icious in the sun
 Ewww, nubbins!

Here is a little tip for glitter polishes that you may already know.  I can't remember where I first heard it but it really works.  To prevent the bumpy glitter look you need to use a thick top coat. I use Seche Vite.  But sometimes I need up to 3 coats of Seche Vite to get a completely smooth finish.  All I do it put a layer of Gelous base coat over the glitter and under a layer of quick dry topcoat and then the glitter is perfectly smooth.  I bought my Gelous base at Sally Beauty Supply.

OPI Sparkle-icious in the shade


Thank you for reading and have a great day/night/whatever!

6 comments:

  1. do you ever try picking off opi glitters? with a little pressure at the base of the nail they usually pop off in nail-shaped sheets! haha.
    i never use remover to remove glitter :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this to satisfy my lemming for MAAH. Also, I found a good dupe (and I did a post about it) for MAAH: Mattese Nutty Hat Guy, which is sold at Ricky's stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I do the same thing Rebecca does. I totally peel off my glitters. Downside is that sometimes bits of nail peel off which is no good. Does that stop me? nope. I actually have quite an addiction to peeling my nailpolish off! Aaaah eew. On another note, Burlesque came along right around a time where I was trying to swear off buying more polish. I skipped over the ENTIRE collection. I was in my beauty supply store the other day and saw some amazing glitters sitting on the "on their way out" shelf (you know that badly hidden dusty shelf). I'm like, "Huh? I don't recognize these?"....they were all the glitters from Burlesque! I decided then that I need them. ALL. :) PS Nubbins are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Rebecca- I used to have a really bad picking problems, like on my nails and cuticles. So it' s HUGE temptation to peel off the polish but it always pulls off the top layer of my nail too and it makes them really weak. I still do it sometimes anyway!

    @Chris- I don't think I have a Ricky's store near me because I haven't even heard of it! I think I'll try and find some Mattese polishes online. Oh, and apparently there is a MAAH dupe by Funky Fingers called Icicle Lights, too.

    @Maribeth- Yeah, it messes my nails up too much to peel the glitter off, although I still do it sometimes. That's awesome that you were able to find the glitters; I think they are really worth it. I'm getting used to the nubbins, but I like a little bit longer nails just because I always use my nails as tools!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm wearing one of my Burlesque glitters today, too! (Simmer & Shimmer for me) I never use mine alone (I put it over a similar under color)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agghhh I'm so jealous, I want all of the burlesque glitters and I have none :( That is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate them all and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...