Thursday, May 5, 2011

My April 2011 Favorites

Today is my boyfriend and I's 8th anniversary!  Whew, in a way it feels like forever and also like no time at all.  We're both 24, and I just realized that we have been together for a third of our lives!  We met in high school and were inseparable pretty much immediately.  And even today we spend 99% of our free time together, just because we enjoy each other's company.  It's kind of strange thinking that I have been with him my whole adult life and even a little bit before.  Neither of us has ever lived alone; we moved directly from living with our parents to living together a little over 3 years ago.  People always ask us why we don't get married, and while I used to want to just because I thought that it was what people who really love each other are SUPPOSED to do, to be honest it wouldn't really change anything.  Actually I can't think of anything it would change.  And I hate doing what I'm "supposed to". :-P  I have struggled a lot within myself over the years and put this guy through so much crap, but for some reason he is ridiculously devoted to me.  I've decided to stop questioning it and just be thankful, haha.  Unfortunately we aren't doing anything today because he's a firefighter and works 24 hour shifts, but I don't really mind.  Just having someone as awesome as him is enough!  Sorry for the off topic-ness but I love that guy and I just thought everyone should know! Heh.

I completely forgot that I wanted to do a favorites post for April!  April was actually my first full month of blogging and so far I'm addicted.  I love taking and editing pictures, writing posts, objectively looking at the products I buy and just the creative process in general.  It feels like a nice and productive outlet for my time (well, more productive than the nothing I used to do in my free time).  But mainly I love blogging for the sense of community.  It really does feel like I am a part of something.  I personally haven't experienced any of the cattiness that I've heard rumors of, but maybe I'm just lucky so far.

I had an extremely difficult time narrowing down my favorites for the month, because to be honest I liked pretty much everything.  It feels like with all the reviews and swatches online and being able to test most things (besides of the drugstore of course), I rarely buy anything I'm not happy with.  And if I'm not, I'll return it.  But of course there is always something that captures your heart and you find yourself using it a bit more.  For me, there are 6 things that stood out.


My 6 favorites this month:
  • Urban Decay Naked Palette- This one was completely unexpected.  I never expected to buy this, much less love it as much as I do.  I love bright colors, but it's always good to have neutrals.  And these aren't boring neutrals either!
  • Persephone Minerals Mars Crystal Power eyeshadow- I rarely buy regular sized jars of eye shadow from indie makeup companies.  I usually buy sample jars because even those last me forever.  But I knew I would love Mars Crystal Power so I bought a full sized jar.  It is now one of my favorite eyeshadows of all time. From any brand.
  • OPI OPI Red nail polish- I've had this polish forever and have never worn it.  I finally did and wore it for a week because I liked it so much.  And I NEVER wear polish for more than 3 days.
  • Estee Lauder Radiant Peach blush- This blush was ridiculously expensive to me, but that is not why I love it.  I bought this because I fell in love with the way it looked in the pan, but I think it looks good on my cheeks as well.  I actually have gotten compliments while wearing this and I've never got compliments on blush before.
  • Wet n Wild Fuchsia with Blue Pearl Silk Finish lipstick- I can't believe these lipsticks are less than a dollar.  Granted I don't have much experience with lipstick, but these are pigmented and smooth.  I'm trying to branch out and wear bolder colors and this one is perfect.
  • MAC Ever Hip lipstick- I try not to fall for MAC's limited edition collections just because it's so disappointing if something sells out before you can buy it.  But I saw this lipstick and had to have it.  I haven't had it long but I can see myself wearing it a lot.


And because I DO have interests outside of makeup and nail polish, here a few other things I love this month.

Game of Thrones
image credit HBO
I love fantasy and Sean Bean (and Sean Bean IN fantasy) so I knew I would like this show.  It has a bit of gratuitous nudity and sex, especially in the first episode, but it is on HBO so that is to be expected.  There have only been 3 episodes but I'm already obsessed.  I even bought the novels the show is based on and can't wait to read them.

The Orbans- Darlin' My Dreams
I found out about this band from my boyfriend's brother and have been loving them recently.  I'm a sucker for stripped down, acoustic songs and this one just does it for me every time I hear it.  Plus the guy in the video is cute. ;-)

UFC 129
image credit UFC
I don't think most people would expect this of me, but I'm a HUGE MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) fan.  I don't care for any other sports; I just watch MMA.  I'm not going to say much about it because I know most people who read this blog could care less, but I was waiting for this event for months!

My Pizza

I may not be the best cook, but I make some pretty badass pizza.  And I've been making it a ton recently too.  I make homemade dough and everything.  The one on the right has tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, spinach, and chopped garlic.  I usually put fresh basil too but I didn't have any this time.  The reason the crust on the pizza on the right is so massive is because it's stuffed crust.  I use cheddar cheese on this one just because we prefer it.  The toppings are mushrooms, onions, bell pepper, and pepperoni.  You seriously need like one slice of this one and you're full.  Which is good because I love leftovers!

My boyfriend and our dogs


Okay, these two are a little cheating because I love them every month!  The pictures of my boyfriend are from when he was in the fire academy several years ago.  He has worked so hard to achieve his dreams and I'm really proud of him.  And my dogs are so lazy!  They sleep like 90% of the time, haha.  I thought this picture was funny because all of their tongues are sticking out.

Well, this post ended up taking longer than I expected!  I was expecting a short 15 minute post, but I kept thinking of things I wanted to add.

Thank you for reading and have a great day/night/whatever!

14 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! It's so nice to know of couples with long-lasting relationships that work. :)
    - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mary- Thanks! Both people just have to be willing to work at it and above all respect and love each other. It isn't always easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I am not alone in my love of MMA! After watching it for probably the past 9 or 10 years (at first not by choice....my husband, dad, & brother were into it) it is now officially the only sport I watch. Um, and I totally just started watching Game Of Thrones too!
    Happy Anniversary!

    PS, I keep meaning to write back to your email...I will tonight when I have a sec :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whee! I see some of my favs in there too..And I am LOVING Game of Thrones too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @shimmer- Yay! Another MMA lover! It feels like I've been watching forever, too. It's crazy how popular it has gotten. And don't worry about getting to the email right away. I'm worried about running out of things to say because my life is boring, haha! And yes, I have 2 pugs and a bulldog.

    @Makeup Zombie- I didn't know I would love Game of Thrones as much as I do. It still doesn't top Dexter as my favorite TV show, but it comes close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary. 8 years? WOW! =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great faves! I LOVE the WnW Lipsticks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Vijaya- Thanks! Sometimes the high school sweetheart thing does work out!

    @Vintage Makeup- I love them too! I think I have 11 of them now, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Congratulations...don't let people make you think you're supposed to get married (although it doesn't sound that they're succeeding, haha). You're still super young and why fix it if it's not broken?

    I just started reading your blog after a comment you left on Nouveau Cheap! You should post a pic of you and your bf :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Margaret- Thank you for saying that. We are still young, and it gets old people questioning our loyalty for each other just because we aren't married! And thank you for reading my blog. I haven't been doing it for long but I really enjoy it. And I'm too scared to post a picture! I don't even have one on my personal Facebook page, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're in a similar situation - me and the other half are both 24 and we've been together for 10 years this month. We're engaged but don't really have plans to marry any time soon - too expensive! We have other things we want to do. Seeing the world and having a nice home are so much more important to us right now.

    The Estee Lauder blush looks hawt! Also - I would eat the shit out of your pizza. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Game of Thrones. Woo! Do you enjoy other HBO shows? I'm a bit of an HBO show addict. I tend to like most of their fantasy related stuff (I confess, I like True Blood. And Carnivale.. And lots of the other ones too)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Robyn- Cool! It's nice to see other people like us. And happy anniversary! And I actually laughed out loud about the pizza comment. I would mail you some but I don't think it would still be good by the time it got there.

    @GenkiOriana- I have never been much of a television watcher and am just starting to get into shows. I guess the watered down stuff on the major networks just has never appealed to me. I am barely discovering the wonders of premium channels. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate them all and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...