Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Shimmery Drugstore Layering Polishes for less than $2

Nowadays there are tons of glitter layering polishes at the drugstore.  I can think of 3 from Wet n Wild's 99 cent polish line alone.  Finding a nice shimmery layering polish is a bit trickier because most of the time they just look like boring sheers in the bottle.  But man, oh man, when you layer them over a dark polish they really will pop.  It takes some experimenting to find a sheer polish that is sheer enough to layer well without being streaky and ugly.  Here are a few from the drugstore that I've found.  To further challenge myself, I only used polishes that were $2 and under!

All of these are layered over 1 coat of Wet n Wild's Black Creme.  Seriously, this is the only black polish you will ever need- it's cheap, and it's opaque in one coat.

Sorry these are a bit messy.  I decided I wasn't in the mood for swatching AFTER I had already started.  And of course I was too stubborn to stop and too lazy to do clean up on my nails.  Also I'm too stubborn to do the swatches over again, haha.

Pure Ice- Busted
Taken in the sun
 This is one coat of Busted.  It has a subtle duochrome look to it but I wasn't able to capture it. :-/

Taken in the shade

Wet n Wild- Teal of Fortune
Taken in the sun
This is one coat.

Taken in the shade

Sinful Colors- Glass Pink
Taken in the sun
This is one coat.  It's almost too opaque to use for layering, but it still looks pretty cool.

Taken in the shade
   Pure Ice- Heart Breaker
Taken inside with the flash
 This is 3 coats, but it still looks pretty awesome with two and even one.  This one is a must own- it's a duochrome ranging in color from bright emerald green to a medium blue.  I have 5 pictures of this just to show you its range.

Taken in the sun
Taken in the shade
 You can see both the blue and the green on the nail here.

Taken in the sun

Taken in the sun

NYC- Love Letters
Taken in the sun
Here is one coat.

This one is my favorite.  It looks like a boring pink sheer in the bottle but it is actually a glass-fleck duochrome changing from pink to teal.  I can't remember where I first heard about the awesome powers of this polish, but whoever discovered it- thank you!

Taken in the shade


Available:
  • Pure Ice retails for $2.00 and is sold at Walmart
  • NYC is $0.99 and is sold at drugstores
  • Sinful Colors retail for $1.99 and is sold at drustores (I've seen it at Walgreens and Target)
  • Wet n Wild FastDrys retail for $1.99 and are sold at drugstores

Thank you for reading and have a great day/night/whatever!

3 comments:

  1. GREAT post. I love layering polishes and I really liked seeing all of these suggestions in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Vijaya- Thank you! I get bored with the polish I'm wearing quickly but I'm too lazy to remove so I've discovered a lot of good layering polishes that way.

    @Shimmer- Looking at the pictures of it makes we want to wear it again, haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate them all and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...