Monday, May 30, 2011

Detrivore Cosmetics Swatches and Review

I'm slowly making my way through my list of indie makeup companies.  Today's post is about Detrivore Cosmetics.  I've seen tons of posts about them around the blogosphere and had compiling a list of eye shadows I wanted.  So, when I noticed Detrivore as having a sale (on top of their already low prices.  Most full size eye shadows are only $3. Their satin collection eyeshadows, which are supposed to be more pigmented, are $5) I decided to make a purchase.

I have yet to be let down by an Indie makeup company, and Detrivore is no different.  Their shadows are AMAZING.  You'll see in my swatches that I swatched them dry and over a sticky base (Pixie Epoxy) and some of them look just as bold and pigmented dry as they do over the base.  I'm really impressed.  I didn't have time to take pictures of me wearing the shadows, but just know they wear extremely well, blend well, and don't fade over time.  I need to buy more!

Know what else is cool? Shipping is free for all US orders, no matter how little or how much you buy.  I can think of another company that does that.  And international shipping is only $5, which is really good, also.


I ordered 10 shadows and I received 2 free samples.  The jars are shrink wrapped and the ingredients are on the shrink wrap so they will get thrown away.  I know many people would prefer that the ingredients were permanently on the jars.  The sample baggies also have ingredient stickers.


The bottom labels are cute.  The satin shadows have a spider on the label while the regular line of shadows has a beetle (a scarab?).  The names are all "dark" or "dirty", which fits in with the theme of the shop.  In other words, not cutesy or pretty names at all.

From left- Vacancy (satin), Faithless (satin), Sacred (satin), Marine, Hemoglobin (satin), Shroud
The top row is dry over bare skin.  The bottom row is patted over Pixie Epoxy.

To be honest, the regular eyeshadows, which are $3, seem just as pigmented as the $5 Satin eyeshadows (which are supposed to be more so).  This isn't a complaint at all, as $3 is a really good price for eyeshadow, as is $5.

From left- Vacancy (satin), Faithless (satin), Sacred (satin)
From left- Marine, Hemoglobin (satin), Shroud
From left- Saprophyte, Abnormal, Sexualis, Scar, Brine, Weaponry
From left- Saprophyte, Abnormal, Sexualis
From left- Scar, Brine, Weaponry

I love all of these eyeshadows and plan to make another order as soon as I can. Hurry and order while you can because the owner is moving and will be shutting her shop down from June 4th until the end of July.  Even if you only get a shadow or two, it's worth it as you don't even have to pay shipping!  And my order arrived very quickly.

Here is the Detrivore Cosmetics website. Satin shadows sell for $5 and the original collection shadows sell for $3.  They also sell matte eyeshadows, highlighters, blushes, an eye shadow primer, and face powders.


Thank you for reading and have a great day/night/whatever!

8 comments:

  1. Great swatches, those colours are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those swatches are awesome! I really really like Abnormal and Brine! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome swatches! I'm seeing a lot that I like, dagnabit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Detrivore has a sale ending tomorrow or the next day where 5 eyeshadows are $10 and 10 eyeshadows are $20. And these are FULL SIZED shadows. It's an amazing deal and everyone should do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to get a large order in soon. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love Brine, Abnormal, and Sacred. These look like they have excellent pigmentation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome review. Indie companies rock :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate them all and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...