Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Maybelline Baby Lips Swatches and Review

If anyone has been to the drugstore or Target or Walmart lately you might have seen the displays of Maybelline's Baby Lips lip balms. I passed them by without noticing the first time as I thought they were just regular balms. And two of them are. The other 4 in the line are tinted lip balms. When I read a review on them (and it was from an underwhelmed person) I knew I needed to try them. When I went to Walmart I saw they were selling for $2.97, and at that price I just had to buy all 4 of the tinted balms.
I'm lazy when it comes to lip color. I want something low maintenance that I can pull out of my purse and apply without a mirror. I constantly smooshing my lips together so I like glosses and balms- things with a smooth creamy texture. So tinted balms are perfect for me. They aren't as boring as a clear balm, but still moisturize my lips and they satisfy the "no mirror" requirement.

I know a lot of people have trouble get tinted lip balms to show up on them. I have pale skin and not very pigmented lips so it doesn't take much for something to stand out on me.

Maybelline Baby Lips
Maybelline Baby Lips
The '80s child in me really loves the bright colored packaging and the big, graphic letters. My only complain is that I'm not too big a fan of the balms/lipsticks with the clear plastic covers. I carry my lip products in my purse and with this type of packaging the clear plastic top will crack and not stay on the tube very well. But these seem fairly sturdy so I'll have to test them out.

Maybelline Baby Lips
Maybelline Baby Lips from left- Cherry Me, Grape Vine, Pink Punch, and Peach Kiss
I was actually pleasantly surprised by these. I wasn't expecting much because of the price. As you can see they aren't SUPER pigmented, but they definitely show up on me. I don't think they would show up so well on darker ladies, but at 3 bucks it's worth a shot. Lip balms normally wear off on me in an hour because I smoosh my lips so much, but I wore the pink one (Pink Punch) for 3 hours and it still felt moisturizing (not exactly close to the 8 hours they promise on the package, though. I usually ignore all that stuff. "Clinical strength"? C'mon...). The color faded a bit, but it faded evenly and began looking more like a stain.  Oh, and I like that these are SPF 20. It's easy to forget that our lips need protection, too! Each one was a different fruity scent. It wasn't overwhelming to me and it didn't smell overly chemical-ish or synthetic. I do detect a bit of the sunscreen smell, but it doesn't bother me.

Bare lips for reference
Maybelline Baby Lips in Cherry Me
This is the color I wish my lips were! It brightens up my natural lip color, but still looks fairly natural.

Maybelline Baby Lips in Grape Vine
This is probably the sheerest of the lip tints and the only one I was a little disappointed in. I was hoping the purple would show up more!

Maybelline Baby Lips in Pink Punch
This one is my favorite! It's the brightest and most opaque.

Maybelline Baby Lips in Peach Kiss
This is the only one with shimmer. It's a pretty silvery shimmer that isn't overwhelming at all. I think even people that don't like shimmery lip colors would like it.

So would I recommend these? Yes, I think they're at least worth a try. I really love 'em, but it you hate them you are only out a couple bucks!

Available:
  • These are available at drugstores and places like Walmart and Target. The retail price is $3.99 but you can find them cheaper (I bought them at Walmart for $2.97 each)

Thank you for reading and have a great day/night/whatever!

9 comments:

  1. these look promising haha but i have pretty pigmented lips so we shall see xD
    btw, i think you put grape vine as cherry red? I'm guessing grape vine was the sheerest one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So bummed about how sheer Grape Vine is, I was going to get that one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ALL_ABOUT_REVIEWS- It's my favorite, too!

    @Isabella- Yeah, I'm not how sure they will work out on pigmented lips! And thanks for letting me know! You were right, the second one is supposed to be Grape Vine.

    @doroffee- Yeah, I'm disappointed, I was hoping it would show up more. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely stared at this display LAST NIGHT and instead I bought... an Essie nail polish? Oops. Ah, now I have to go back! (Do you watch "Lost" ? WE HAVE TO GO BAAAAAACK)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't want any of these until your review, and now I have two on my list...makeup enabling at its best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look fab! The colour pay-off looks surprisingly good for a tinted balm - I've used lip glosses with less pigment! - and the packaging is awesome. Don't think these are available in the UK yet but I'll be keeping an eye out for them ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I looked at these at the store they didn't really catch my eye. They actually look quite nice on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review! I thought they were just clear, but now, thanks to you I know otherwise. What a great price- definitely picking up a couple of them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate them all and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...