Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Rainbow Honey- The Yokai Collection

I have been drooling over polishes from indie seller Rainbow Honey for months now, so when I was given the opportunity to review the newest collection I jumped at the chance. The three new polishes, part of the Yokai collection, are limited edition and a unique twist on a traditional Halloween collection. According to the infallible and omnipotent Wikipedia "Yokai are a class of supernatural monsters from Japanese folklore". Pretty cool idea for a collection right? These polishes had a lot to live up to in my mind, and they definitely did not disappoint. Take a look!

Rainbow Honey The Yokai Collection
I think these polishes and my two Chanels are the only ones that have come in boxes. Really awesome, professional packaging. I'm impressed!

Rainbow Honey The Yokai Collection
All swatches are two coats of polish with top coat.

Rainbow Honey Kawako
Kawako- "The mischievous river child". This polish is a shimmery navy base with silver glass-like flecks and iridescent flakies. Because of the opacity of the base the flakes don't show up much, but do give a little flash every now and then. This polish is on the thicker side and it helps to let the first coat dry a little bit before applying the second.  I've tried a lot of dark blue based polishes with silver glitter over the years and this is by far my favorite. It manages to to both fresh and unique.

Rainbow Honey Kawako
Rainbow Honey Kitsune
Kitsune- "The magical white fox". This polish is a sandy tan base with gold shimmer and red, holographic, and gold glitter with smaller specks of glitter that look black in the picture above. Whew, this one was hard to describe. Like Kawako this polish runs on the thick side. However, it is one the coolest, most unique polishes I have.

Rainbow Honey Kitsune
Rainbow Honey Oni
Oni- "The malevolent, wild demon". This polish is a blackened base chock full of tiny irregularly-shaped gold and purple glitter flakes. The glitter does look predominantly gold, but for some reason my camera refused to pick up the purple. This one had the best formula of the three and was completely smooth- not thick or lumpy at all. It's is absolutely stunning and has a lot of depth and dimension even in the shade.

Rainbow Honey Oni
The collection will be released at rainbowhoney.com on October 13th at 12:01 AM EST. The polishes sell for $10 (a great price for a bottle of completely unique polish. You won't find any dupes for these!) and remember, the collection is limited edition. The biggest test when reviewing something that was sent to you is asking yourself, "Would I have bought this if it hadn't been sent to me?" And for me, and this collection, the answer is a resounding YES. I absolutely love the collection. I like the explosion of indie polish companies and their many unique products, but I do get tired of seeing endless collections of multicolored glitter in a clear base. These polishes are unique and opaque in 2 coats.

So what do you guys think? Do you have any polishes from Rainbow Honey? Do you plan on picking any of these up?

Disclosure: I was provided these polishes for consideration by Rainbow Honey. My opinions are my own and as always, my first priority is you lovely people who read my blog.

5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this brand before. Loving Oni, though, so pretty! Plus Oni was brought up in an episode of Inuyasha and I do love Inuyasha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitsune. KITSUNE. YES PLEASE. Oh my, what a cute name and colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous! And I really like the idea behind them; very creative. I only have 1 Rainbow Honey polish (and it's a mini) but I want LOTS more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought the collection--I have all the Rainbow Honey polishes, I love this brand SO MUCH!!!

    Beautiful nails :) Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMM, I love Oni! They did a very nice job of the packaging!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate them all and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...