Monday, November 7, 2011

The Miracle of Magnetic Nail Polish, How Does It Work?

First of all, if you get the reference in the title, props to ya. I'm not one to throw around memes lightly. If you don't get it, here ya go. You probably still won't get it, but that is the glory of memes.

Ahh, fucking magnets. While I don't think we will ever know how they work (if you really want to know, read a little further into the post), they do make for a pretty cool effect on nail polish. I've been wanting some magnetic nail polish pretty much since my nail polish obsession began almost 3 years ago. Luckily more and more polish companies are starting to release them. While they're still pretty expensive (The cheapest I've seen is about $15), I think they're worth. I picked 2 up from the brand Layla ("You got me on my knees...") on Ebay and love them to pieces. I know people have complained that it can be difficult to get the pattern the same on each nail, but I didn't have too much problem with it and I'm incredibly clumsy. The magnets on the Layla bottles have a line on them so you can see exactly which way the pattern will face.

The formula is pretty thick, but still flows well. You might get away with just one coat, but I did two. I first painted all of my nails. Then I went back, painted a nail and immediately after put the magnet up to it. At first I didn't think I liked the effect and felt a little "that's it?" after my three years of anticipation, but it grew on me. I want ALL THE COLORS now.

So, how it actually works. There are tiny metal pieces in the polish (they don't affect the texture of the polish. It mostly feel like a "regular" nail polish). The lid of the polish has a magnet in it with a design and when you place the magnet over the wet (It has to be wet! It's better to do one nail at a time) polish as close as you can without touching the nail, the magnet pulls the metal particles in the polishes together recreating the design. The lighter parts in the pictures below are where the metal particles concentrated due to the magnet.


Layla Magneffect in Purple Galaxy
Layla Magneffect in Purple Galaxy
Layla Magneffect in Purple Galaxy

Available:
  • Just search on Google and you can find these polishes from several places. I bought mine for $15.50 on eBay from here, because they had free shipping. I received my order quickly and it was packaged well.


Thank you for reading and have a great day/night/whatever!

19 comments:

  1. PAINT ALL THE NAILS!!! And now I have Layla in my head! Yay, that is better than a song that I don't know any of the words to which is what I had before.

    They are amazing, aren't they? I was trying to figure it out as well... my guess is that they've got some sort of iron particles loose in the formula but.. how do they not sink? How come they don't pop out of the polish and on to the magnet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked up the magnetic polish from Nails Inc. I can't wait to try it & review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not loving this trend-maybe you have to see it to believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this at Sephora and was like "wtf, magnets on my fingernails?" Then I saw how it worked- pretty damn impressive :) I didn't realize other companies did it. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first time I saw magnetic polish I didn't even think it was real, haha. It looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey that picture is from Hyperbole and a Half

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still don't get how it works! So you have to pick a regular polish to put on first, and then you put the magnetic polish over it, like the Crackle stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this polish is one of the best I have ever used. I use Orly's bonder, then the magneteffects -- the polish lasts me a week! I teach chemistry so my hands get into lots of stuff and get washed a lot -- this polish is like the old timex commercial.... It takes a licken' and keeps on ticken'! Plus it looks really cool!!!

    Also, because it dries so fast, it is very smudge resistant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Walgreens - Sally Hanson - $9.99
    I love this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rite Aid-Magnetique-$4.99

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same one I got! So cheap, get it while it's in sale! :)

      Delete
  11. go to five below..they sell em for a buck each! im usibg the gray metallic one nd it works amazingly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sinful colors sold at Cvs has magnetic polish for $4

    ReplyDelete
  13. LA Girl has them for 6 bucks, different magnet designs on each color.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never tried it but want to

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this information.

    This magnetic nail trends are looking very attractive. While looking for some cool fashion ideas I came across a site who are providing such services like Finger Nail Stickers, Nail Art Bows, 3D Nail Designs etc
    Latest Magnetic Nail Technology

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate them all and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...